Thursday, August 18, 2005

Breakdown!

What would you do when things go wrong? Mutter about the bad luck? Curse & swear? Oft we see only the negative but don't count the blessings that surrounds the situation.

My car broke down yesterday just as I left the office. It didn't stop suddenly. There were warning signs that something was not right. When smoke comes out from under the bonnet, that's a pretty strong sign. Thankfully the engine was not on fire. I had no idea what cause it then. The car's sitting in the workshop now and early diagnostics indicated that the water-pump for the cooling system had jammed.

Ah, what a start to the evening. So what should one do? As the logistics of getting a tow-truck over in rush hour traffic was in progress, I started counting the blessings surrounding the event.
  • I could have suffered a breakdown at a worse-off location. At least I was out of harm's way and not blocking any traffic.
  • I was not hurrying off in any emergency nor was I on my way for a holiday.
  • I had cellular communication coverage to make all necessary calls and more than enough battery power to chat with friends while waiting.
  • SMS! Dit-dit-dit-dit-dit ....
  • But it was raining! God had cooled the weather so I was comfortable.
  • I saved a "tourist" from waiting and taking a taxi when his hotel was just around the corner.
  • I had mobile entertainment listening to "Crazy Frog"... this didn't last long though. There's only so many times one can hear it before one goes bonkers *ding-ding*
  • So I had to wait an hour and a half before the tow-truck arrived. The important thing was that he showed up despite the traffic snarls.
  • The mechanic was so kind to keep his shop open and wait for the car to be sent over.

You would be surprised to know how many blessings that can be listed down if only we expand our vision to beyond the obvious. Of course its not easy to do it at the point of despair. Its personal choice so I chose to remember, that it could have been worse.

Addendum: It was not the water-pump but the pulley for the main crankshaft that had jammed. It could be worse ;-)

3 comments:

moggie said...

too bad abt the breakdown, dude. like u said, could've been worse. like the time i went fishing with a friend in his ride. we should have read the signs when the rear bumper fell off. decided to pick it up and continu until the right rear hubcap flew off. picked That up and c'ont. when the exhaust fell, we got the message and headed home, fishless men...

is your chariot ok now?

pummkin said...

You are such an optimist even when times are near desperate(I know I will be if my car broke down..)& knowing that our blessings go beyond what is seen makes me thankful for having a friend in you.

Divemuster said...

Hey Moggie... Chariot's A-OK. Its my wallet now that have broken down. Car's happy & behaving well after making me part with some hard earned $$.

Pummkin, thank you for your kind words. Maybe its something that develops with age. Not bottomless energy to fret over things that have happened... hahaha.